Applicants should have a bachelor's degree or equivalent; a strong interest and/or previous studies in economics, management, sociology, political sciences or related subjects; undergraduate or graduate training in mathematics and quantitative methods or a strong motivation to quickly fill their gaps in these fields; a sound knowledge of spoken and written English.
The evaluation process will consider the applicants prior academic record and its consistency with the above mentioned criteria. Admission is based on academic excellence.
Eligible candidates must meet the following requirements:
a) Applicants who have obtained their bachelor's degrees from Italian Universities are eligible for admission if they hold a 'laurea' degree pertaining to any one of the "classi di laurea" (degree classes) listed below under the heading "Note 1". Applicants who have completed their undergraduate studies at foreign universities are eligible for admission if they hold a bachelor's degree in economics, political science, or other broadly related subjects (from history to industrial engineering, from management to mathematics, from philosophy to sociology, and so on), provided that their bachelor's degree may be regarded as equivalent to one of the Italian "laurea" degrees listed below (Note 1).
b) All candidates holding a different bachelor's degree from the ones listed in Note 1 must have earned at least 9 ECTS in economics or mathematics/ statistics. The ECTS credit value of foreign applicants undergraduate studies will be assessed by the MLS admissions committee. Applicants holding an Italian bachelor's degree must have earned the required credits within the set of admissible "settori scientifico-disciplinari" (disciplinary scientific sectors) listed below under the heading "Note 2". Applicants who have completed their undergraduate studies at foreign universities should exhibit a comparable academic record or competence in logic, statistics and mathematics.
c) Non-native speakers of English must be able to demonstrate their knowledge of English either by showing they have at least one year of university studies at institutions where the language of instruction is English, or by providing evidence of possessing a minimum English language proficiency at level B2 within the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The English level B2 is assessed by the University Language Centre SLAM throughout the admission process in the following ways:
- language certificate achieved no more than three years prior to the submission, at level B2 or higher, recognized by the University (the list of recognized language certificates can be found at: https://www.unimi.it/en/study/language-proficiency/placement-tests-entr…). The language certificate must be uploaded during the admission process;
- level of English assessed by SLAM during the bachelor's degrees obtained at the University of Milan. English levels B2 achieved no more than four years previously are deemed valid. The verification is automatic with no need to attach any certificate during the application phase;
- entry test, organized by SLAM. The calendar of the entry test will be posted on the Degree Course website (https://mhr.cdl.unimi.it/en/enrolment)
d) Admission will be decided on the basis of academic merit, coherence of their previous curriculum with the learning objectives of the Master's degree in Management of Human resources, and a test which will be assigned upon application. Applicants might be interviewed for admission.
Each applicant will have to submit, together with the application, a detailed curriculum vitae. Failing to provide the above mentioned documentation, the applicant will be excluded from the selection procedure.
* Note 1 (in Italian)
- L-05 - Filosofia
- L-08 - Ingegneria dell'Informazione
- L-09 - Ingegneria industriale
- L-14 - Scienze dei servizi giuridici
- L-16 - Scienze dell'amministrazione e dell'organizzazione
- L-18 - Scienze dell'economia e della gestione aziendale
- L-20 - Scienze della comunicazione
- L-24 - Scienze e tecniche psicologiche
- L-31 - Scienze e tecnologie informatiche
- L-33 - Scienze economiche
- L-35 - Scienze matematiche
- L-36 - Scienze politiche e delle relazioni internazionali
- L-37 - Scienze sociali per la cooperazione, lo sviluppo e la pace
- L-40 - Sociologia
- L-41 - Statistica
* Note 2 (in Italian)
At least 9 ECTS: SECS-S/01 - Statistica; SECS-S/03 - Statistica economica; SECS-S/05 - Statistica sociale; SECS-S/06 - Metodi matematici dell'economia e delle scienze attuariali e finanziarie; SECS-P/05 - Econometria; MAT/01 - Logica matematica; MAT/05 - Analisi matematica; MAT/06 - Probabilità e statistica matematica
Domanda di ammissione: dal 12/03/2021 al 30/06/2021
Domanda di immatricolazione: dal 01/04/2021 al 30/09/2021
Gli studenti non comunitari residenti all'estero devono presentare domanda di ammissione entro il 31 maggio 2021.
For candidates who meet the minimum requirements, admission will be decided based on:
- academic merit;
- the coherence of their previous academic and extra-academic experiences with the learning objectives of the Master’s degree in Management of Human resources;
- an online admission test to assess their basic knowledge and skills.
Motivational and recommendation letters will not be considered for admission.
To evaluate merit and coherence, each applicant must submit, together with the application, a detailed curriculum vitae using the provided format. Failing to provide the compulsory documentation will result in exclusion from the selection procedure.
The Admission Board reserves the possibility to request the applicant an oral interview for admission, held in English language and exclusively done online (e.g., via Skype), to verify the required knowledge and skills.
All candidates shall complete an online test to ascertain their basic knowledge in the following areas:
- Labour Economics
- Labour Law and regulations
- Theories of Organization and individual-organization relationship (e.g., Scientific Management Theory, Administrative Theory, Human Relation, Bureaucracy, System Approach and Contingency Approach; leading theories on work motivation)
- Research methodology/descriptive statistics
The online admission test is composed of multiple choice questions.
The link to the test will be sent via e-mail to candidates only AFTER they apply and their applications are validated formally (which might take one to two weeks).
Candidates can find below some examples of books and articles related to the basic knowledge in the four crucial areas of our master’s degree:
1. Labour Economics
George Borjas, Labor economics, McGraw Hill 2012
2. Labour Law and regulations
A. S. Bronstein (2009). International and comparative labour law: current challenges. Palgrave Macmillan
3. Theories of Organization and individual-organization relationship..
Hatch, M. J. (2018). Organization theory: Modern, symbolic, and postmodern perspectives Oxford University press (Edition: 4th).
Latham, G. P., & Budworth, M.-H. (2007). The Study of Work Motivation in the 20th Century. In L. L. Koppes (Ed.), Historical perspectives in industrial and organizational psychology (p. 353–381). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers. https://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/facbios/file/08%20-%20Latham%20&%20Budworth%202007.pdf
Tosi, H. L. (2009). Theories of organization. Sage.
4. Descriptive statistics and research methodology
Marsh, C., & Elliott, J. (1988). Exploring data: an introduction to data analysis for social scientists. Cambridge: Polity Press.
What are the English certificates recognized by the University?
You can find a list of the accepted English certificate here.
Can I upload an English certificate obtained more than three years ago?
No, the English certificate must be obtained no more than three years before the submission.
What is the minimum English level required?
The minimum English level required is B2.
Do I have to provide a language certificate if I have studied at institutions where the language of instruction was English?
No, you must demonstrate your English knowledge, showing you have at least one year of university studies at institutions where the language of instruction is English.
What can I do if I don’t have an English certificate?
You can sit for an entry test organized by SLAM. More information about the entry test and the tests calendar is available here.
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
Students can also be entitled for tuition fee reductions such as:
- lowering for students who meet high merit requirements
- fixed amounts calculated on the basis of the student's citizenship group for those with income/property abroad
- support for students who have political refugee status.
More info at: Fees - current academic year
University of Milan provides a number of economic benefits for its students with special requirements (merit, economic or personal conditions, international students) such as Excellence Scholarship.
Please have a look at this webpage for more information: Financial support | Università degli Studi di Milano Statale (unimi.it).
If you are an international student and you need more information on university fees or financial support, please contact the International Student Office (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
If you are an italian student you can contact Informa studenti
The University of Milan offers to deserving enrolled students accommodation in halls of residence and apartments situated close to the university buildings, at favourable conditions, in order to guarantee them the right to education. Accommodations are assigned through call for applications published every year around July.
Do you need information on How to request accomodation? Check here: How to request accommodation | Università degli Studi di Milano Statale (unimi.it).
If you are an international student and you need more information on accomodation please contact email@example.com.
If you are an italian student you can contact Informa studenti.
Refectory services and meals
The University offers to all regularly enrolled students a refectory service that includes an economically priced meal at different canteens. Please see the lit of available University canteens at this webpage Refectory services and meals | Università degli Studi di Milano Statale (unimi.it).
Admission, ranking and enrolment